Monday, February 17, 2014

About Communication

こんばんはみんなさん!

1.) What do you expect to learn from the podcast project?
  • To learn to communicate our ideas clearly in Japanese.
  • To learn how to work together and compromise with others in my group.
  • To manage group time wisely and try and create the best project possible with what my group's available time. 
  • To edit videos and make them appealing to a wide-audience.
  • To learn more about Japanese culture through my classmates and my own group's videos. 
  • To practice stage presence/acting skills in the video. We want to make a funny yet believable (not cheesy) video.

2.) What does "communication" mean to you?

 To me, communication is way that we express ideas or messages with other people. When I think of the word "communication" I always think of it as words or some sort of verbal exchange. But communication is far more broad than just words. As humans, we communicate with one another through body language, expression of our mood, and what decisions/actions we make.
COMMUNICATION... lack th


In this project, we will definitely be communicating a lot because we will be filming ourselves and allowing the viewer to hear our words, see our body language, and wonder why we chose a certain piece of music or video editing technique. The hardest part of this podcast project will not be in communicating a message because we will be communicating as soon as the camera starts rolling. Instead, the hardest part of this podcast project will be in communicating our intended message to the viewer. It will be very easy to come off as cheesy or offensive but that is NOT the message that my group would like to convey.





a goofy movie -  shocked school crowd GIF
I DON'T WANT TO BE OFFENSIVE OR CHEESY!! YUCK!!

We have an awesome topic (tatemae and honne) that needs to be expressed in a comical yet serious manner. I want my viewers to learn about this aspect of Japanese culture and to see it side-by-side the America value of "keeping it real". This balance of professionalism and humor will be very challenging but I hope that we are able to communicate our theme properly.
STAY TUNED FOR AN AWESOME VIDEO!!!



Lastly I think communication is just another word for story telling. And my group has an awesome story so stayed tuned!!











--ブリ


8 comments:

  1. こんにちは、

    I agree with your idea that basic communication is not the hardest part of the podcast project but communicating your intended message effectively. I think this will be the biggest challenge for my group as well. I am excited to hear your group's communication "story".

    Good luck on your podcast project, it sounds awesome!

    -Jessi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessi-san for your encouragement! This project will be difficult but I am hoping to get a lot out of it (mainly fun)!!

      Break a leg, Jessi-san! I look forward to seeing your video as well!

      Delete
  2. こんにちは、

    I love this observation: "As humans, we communicate with one another through body language, expression of our mood, and what decisions/actions we make." First off, spoken like a true actor!!! Second, and on a more serious note, our nonverbal cues will definitely make or break how well our story is received. I guess we'll have to play it by ear in deciding when to be over the top and when to practice restraint.

    ビル

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, "spoken like a true actor" you are too funny Bill! But we really will have to work hard to balance between silly and serious. We will do a great job (I hope)!!! And if not, as in the words of a wise person: "No F's given, only F's received".

      Delete
  3. Hello Brianna-san,

    I am very much looking forward to watching your group's podcast because I would like to know why we Japanese like to put value on "honne to tatemae" and American people put value on "keeping it real"!

    Good luck with your project!

    TA_S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you TA_S for your comment! I just hope we are able to truly capture this Japanese concept in our video!! Thanks again for the support!

      Delete
  4. I think you brought up some very important points of communication: communication is more than words and storytelling
    Here is a tip for you to play as a character in podcast. In communicating/storytelling, how do we use our verbal, physical, and facial expressions when we tell our own story? How do you use those expressions when telling someone's story? Also when playing a role as character? It'd be interesting for you to see/observe those differences: is there any change in your gesture, facial expressions, tone of your voice etc? You would find a key to conveying your theme in your podcast. Gambatte kudasai!
    TA Ishikawa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thnaks TA_Ishikawa for all of the advice! You mentioned a lot of good points (are you an actor, haha)!! But I will make sure to keep these questions in mind and share them with my teammates! We will definitely need to consider all of these things for our video! Thanks again!

      Delete